Friday, August 24, 2012

Saturday: MEMBER OF THE MONTH!

Member of the Month: Jill Nelson
*Read her story below*


WOD
In teams of three
12 min AMRAP
200m Run
Pull Ups
1-arm KB Snatch

*Someone begins the run while the others start on the pull ups and snatches. Do as many reps as you can until your partner comes back from the run. The runner will tag off the person doing pull ups and start on the number they left off. So if the first person did 12 pull ups by the time the runner gets back, the runner will tag them off and start on pull up #13. The pull up person will take over the snatches and the snatch person will take off on the run. The runner always determines how long you spend at the stations. You will keep a total # of pull Ups and a total # of KB snatches for the 12 minutes. 


CASH OUT

Tabata Sit Ups

NEWS

Unrivaled Kids!
Last 7-11 year old class Saturday 10am (for the summer)
We are hoping to have a much more regular kids class in the near future so stay posted!

BEACH WOD!
Sept 2nd, which is a Sunday, the gym will be closed and we will be throwin down on a beach WOD to end the summer! Stay tuned for the location, time will be 10AM.



MEMBER OF THE MONTH: JILL! 

1. How did you find CrossFit and why did you start?

Crossfit found me during a time when I had just started to regain some control over my health and life. I have been an athlete my whole life working out doing a zillion things. About 5 years ago I started having some strange and annoying health issues that eventually were diagnosed as Multiple Sclerosis. The prognosis for MS is scary and I gave in and gave up!!!! Treatment for MS is the management of symptoms which means drug after drug after drug! Fast forward about four years and I was on like 7 meds a day, daily injections and had some significant disease progression. Something happened (which I know now was faith) and I decided that sitting around getting more sick would no longer suffice. If not for me than for my boys! I found a Russian KB studio and started training. Loved doing things that were hard again. 
The studio was cliquish and members were obscenely not supportive or concerned about anyone other than self. The amazing Sammy and Cindy Hinkle were working out at CFU and encouraged the also amazing Mary Carolino to join which she did. Curiosity got the best of me so after messaging Jackie about my MS and the possible implications in the gym I came in for an intro WOD. One of the main issues on a daily basis for me is extreme heat sensitivity!! Jackie and Drew followed me around with one of those big orange fans the entire WOD. no questions asked!!!! I knew I was home!! 

2. How has it impacted your life?

Goodness how has it not impacted my life!! Lack of passion is fatal!!! And I now have new passion for an amazing amazing extended family! Life long friendships have been made! The affect on my health is unbelievable! I am now down to daily injections and one medication. The rest I can manage with consistent exercise and proper nutrition. 

1. How long have you been doing CF?

A year ago this month I did my elements classes with Mike Shroyer!!! We were Brian and Ruby's first elements class! 

4. Favorite lift or WOD

Favorite is stretching it but I don't dread the push press and jerk! Although with Drews help I am determined to stop hating snatching! 

3. If you were a CrossFit movement, what would you be at why?

Hmmmmmm! I would be tire flips because it's fun and unconventional!!!

5. If you had 30 seconds to sell CF to your best friend what would you tell them?

I tell people it is the hardest thing you will ever do but you will love every second! You will come for whatever reason you will stay for the people!!! Come find your strong!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment